Medical Graduates Per 100,000 Population (2017): 14.4
Nursing Graduates Per 100,000 Population (2017): 34.5
Percent Share of Foreign-Trained Doctors (2017): 5.8%
Percent Share of Foreign-Trained Nurses (2017): NA
(Note: According to OECD, “Medical graduates are defined as students who have graduated from medical schools in a given year.” OECD also notes that data for Austria “include foreign graduates, but other countries may exclude them.”)
Source: OECD (2019), Health at a Glance 2019: OECD Indicators, OECD Publishing, Paris, https://doi.org/10.1787/4dd50c09-en.
“There is essentially a contribution obligation for all students at Austrian universities. The level of tuition fees is
“€ 363,36 per semester for EU citizens or
“€ 726,72 per semester for third country nationals.
“In addition to relevant tuition fees, the Students Union contribution shall be paid, including insurance, in an amount of € 20,20.
“Students shall therefore pay a total amount of € 383,56 and € 746,92 per semester.
“Temporary exemption from tuition fees exists for regular students on a Master’s or PhD programme for the duration of the standard study period, plus two semesters.
“The same applies to regular students on a degree programme if the stipulated study period per study phase is not exceeded by more than two semesters.
“The following are deemed regular students:
- “Austrian citizens,
- “EU citizens,
- “EEA citizens (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein),
- “Nationals of the Swiss Confederation,
- “Convention refugees (including from another EU State),
- “Beneficiaries of subsidiary protection, third country nationals who have been granted the following residence permit status:
- “Permanent residence EU” issued by the responsible Austrian authority
- “Permanent residence EU” issued by the responsible authority in another EU Member State and a residence permit for Austria
- “Permanent residence card” issued by the responsible Austrian authority
- “Students with a residence permit status other than “student residence permit”.
- “Students to whom the Regulation on Groups of Persons is applicable.
- “Turkish nationals based on the EEA/Turkey Association Agreement, if they:
- normally live with their parents in Austria and
- the parents are or were duly employed in Austria.
“In case of exceeding the non-contributory period, tuition fees shall be paid of € 363.36 per semester. This contribution is increased by 10% within the additional extension.”
Source: Medical University of Vienna, “Tuition Fees at the Medical School of Vienna,” last accessed March 25, 2021.
Health Systems Facts is a project of the Real Reporting Foundation. We provide reliable statistics and other data from authoritative sources regarding health systems in the US and several other nations.
Page last updated March 25, 2021 by Doug McVay, Editor.