- Health System Ranking:
- WHO World Health Report 2000 Overall Health System Performance (1997): 231
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Health Index (2017): 32
- Healthcare Access and Quality (HAQ) Index (2016): 83
- Gross Domestic Product (Current Prices) (billion USD) (2018): $551.14
- Population (2018): 10.1 Million4
- GDP Per Capita At Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) (USD) (2018): $51,4005
- Total Current Expenditure On Health (Current Prices, Current PPP) (million USD) (2018): $55,126.15
- Total Current Expenditure On Health As Portion of GDP (2018): 11%5
- Total Current Expenditure On Health Per Capita (Current Prices, Current PPP) (USD) (2018): $5,447.15
- Life Expectancy At Birth (2016): All Genders: 82.4; Male: 80.4; Female: 84.14
- Life Expectancy At Birth – OECD Average (2016): All Genders: 80.7; Male: 77.9; Female: 83.25
- Healthy Life Expectancy (HALE) At Birth* (2016): All Genders: 72.4; Male: 71.5; Female: 73.46
- Healthy Life Expectancy At Age 60** (2016): All Genders: 19.2; Male: 18.2; Female: 20.16
1: World Health Organization. The World Health Report 2000: Health Systems : Improving Performance. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2000. https://www.who.int/whr/2000/en/
More information about the WHO World Health Report 2000 here.
2. GBD 2017 SDG Collaborators. “Measuring progress from 1990 to 2017 and projecting attainment to 2030 of the health-related Sustainable Development Goals for 195 countries and territories: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.” Lancet (London, England) vol. 392,10159 (2018): 2091-2138. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32281-5
More information about the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Health Index here.
3. GBD 2016 Healthcare Access and Quality Collaborators. “Measuring performance on the Healthcare Access and Quality Index for 195 countries and territories and selected subnational locations: a systematic analysis from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.” Lancet (London, England) vol. 391,10136 (2018): 2236-2271. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(18)30994-2
More information about the Healthcare Access and Quality Index here.
4: OECD (2019), OECD Economic Surveys: Sweden 2019, OECD Publishing, Paris.
5: OECD. Health expenditure and financing. OECD.Stat. Accessed Sept. 4, 2019.
6: World Health Organization. Global Health Observatory data repository. Life expectancy and Healthy life expectancy. Data by country. Accessed Sept. 4, 2019. http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.688?lang=en
* WHO defines “Healthy Life Expectancy At Birth” as “The average number of years that a person can expect to live in “full health” by taking into account years lived in less than full health due to disease and/or injury”
** WHO defines “Healthy Life Expectancy At Age 60” as “The average number of years that a person of 60 years of age could expect to live if exposed to the sex- and age-specific death rates prevailing at the time of his/her 60th birthday”
Source: 2018 Global Reference List of 100 Core Health Indicators (plus health-related SDGs). Geneva: World Health Organization; 2018. Licence: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO. https://www.who.int/healthinfo/indicators/2018/en/